7 Summertime Hair Care Tips: The Secret To Air Drying Your Hair
The last thing you want to do in the heat of summer is fire up your hair dryer. Since we think it’s a good idea to give your hair a break from dryers, summer is a perfect time to hone the skill of successfully air drying your hair.
Here are our 7 tips:
- Shampoo—Look for shampoos that are sulfate, paraben, and gluten-free. This means they have no detergents or extra chemicals that take longer for hair to dry. For curly or thick hair, use conditioner as a styling product; just don’t rinse it out. Always concentrate conditioner on the ends. Our recommendation is L’Oreal Serie Expert Vitamino Delicate Colour Shampoo.
- Don’t towel dry—Towels cause frizziness. Because hair is at its weakest when wet, use a cotton t-shirt, pillowcase, or the like. Cotton doesn’t cause as much friction as towels because the threads are finer.
- Bangs—DO blow dry these. For some reason, bangs just don’t air dry as well on their own. They need help. Give them a few seconds under the dryer.
- Extensions—Do use your towel to blot hair. Hold the base in a ponytail to prevent the possibility of breakage. You’ll want to take the long part of your hair and wrap the towel around it for a few seconds, then unwrap. Move up the hair using a different part of the towel. Apply your products, repeating the towel wrapping. Run your fingers through your hair to separate the strands and to give you volume.
- Keratin treatment—Get a keratin treatment so that your hair will dry up to 40% faster. Not to mention, how soft and smooth it makes your hair!
- Mousse it—Mousse is excellent for air drying hair. You get great hold without stiffness or crunchiness. We recommend L’Oreal Mousse Volupte.
- Braid it—If your hair is long enough, braid it while damp and let it air dry. Keep the braid loose for waves. Make it tighter for more of a crimp.